About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

10.9.08

Happy dance for cables!

I've made it through the first section of cables for St. Brigid and it's been fun. I love this pattern so far. It's just challenging and easy enough for an enjoyable knitting experience. I love the yarn--it's light and easy to use, no breaks thus far, and the color is wonderful. The color flecks create subtle visual interest. I may have to order the Herring colorway for something. I can only imagine what that must look like knitted up.
I took the book (Aran Knitting) back to the library yesterday (
boo). I wrote to Interweave Press asking why the book isn't in print any more and if Alice Starmore has plans to release a "best of" book. I received a response very quickly and it was nix to both. I think that's sad. Her designs are so classic and just beautiful. The new generation of knitters would learn much from her knowledge of knitting history and well-designed garments. When I worked at Woolenworks in Texas they carried all her books. At the time, a $40 knitting book was too much for my budget. Now the darned books goes for over $240--used! Crikey! That's ridiculous! I comforted myself by going to Half Price Books and found a stitch dictionary for $6.98. It's quite a nice little book with lots of info and 300 stitch patterns. Lots of bang for the buck. The bookmark is for Ben's next goody box.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Now you're cooking! The pattern is a good blend of have-to-pay-attention and don't-have-to-pay-attention. I've decided to knit one less repeat of the big cable design before I cast off for shoulders. It's one of the few benefits of being short, I guess.

Joanne said...

Wow! This is a great project. I agree about the book.