About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

18.11.08

Visitor

As I was headed downstairs to get my knitting bag for work, a flash of gray with a fuzzy tail whizzed ahead of me down the stairs scaring the $#!+ out of me. Jim said he'd never heard me yell like that before! I was shuddering as Jim checked out the scene in the family room. Hiding at the top of the bookcase by the fireplace was a squirrel. (This is going on less than 30 minutes before I have to be at work!) Jim got the cage trap and I got out the peanut butter. He put it on the hearth while the critter stared at us with his large beady eyes from his perch beside my antique Noah's Ark. Now he wasn't moving. I had time to think this might end up being a Kodak moment, but thought better of it. My luck, the squirrel would decide to lunge at me. Jim got Eevee's blanket and was going to lure it closer to the cage. It crawled back and forth across the stones of the fireplace. I was by the stairs "helping" (making sure I could make a quick exit, if needed). We discovered we had Rocky the flying squirrel as he flew from my side of the room to the other with Jim in hot pursuit. At this time I realized I could open the door and maybe it would run outside. Jim was to the left of the door and I was on the right. The squirrel was in the middle behind the TV cabinet. I told Jim NOT to scare it toward me before I got the door open. The squirrel dashed past the door back to the fireplace and Jim managed to catch it in the blanket and take it outside. As he let it go I told it not to run toward the house (like that's gonna help). It ran up the tree and I dubbed Jim my hero. Eevee didn't bark once! I think she rather enjoyed the whole scenario. I had ten minutes to get to work and calm down. At the stop light I reached for my Altoids and as I got one, I caught the paper in the tin and the mints went flying all over the car--dang! I managed to get one in my mouth and a couple back in the tin. Made it to work with a minute or two to spare. I was getting out of the car and my silver bracelet managed to come of and I watched it go around and around almost rolling under the car. I retrieved it and walked into the shop. Carol was laughing and flapping her arms. It was so funny. I took a minute to gather myself and get to work. Geez-Louise, what life can pack in 30 minutes!! We've had a variety this year with the bat and the squirrel! What next? I shudder to think...

6 comments:

zippiknits said...

Great squirrel story!

We once had to herd a baby ground squirrel out of the house. It took a lot of cardboard and an escape route that left that speedy little critter no choice but out out out.

Margie said...

Deborah, what a carfuffle. Hugs Margie.

Deborah said...

Never a dull moment around here!

Kathy said...

What an adventure! Eevee apparently does not have the hunting instinct.

Deborah said...

Not a hunter a herder. She'd probably round up the critters.

Margie said...

Hey Deborah, how are you this weekend. hugs Margie.