About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

11.1.10

Christmas in January

A package from Texas arrived this week from Joanne!  She made me some fingerless gloves that will match my cuffs and a little ball of yarn magnet!  So cute.  Thank you, Joanne.  
Yesterday was Round Table and my Dutch oven sampling is my favorite chocolate cake--Crazy Cake.  It's a simple recipe, but is so good--especially when it's warm.  I sprinkled Heath Bar toffee pieces on the top.  It was a big hit last night.  I'm getting submissions for the cook booklet and am excited to be working this Wood Badge ticket.  Here's the recipe:
CRAZY CHOCOLATE CAKEC-08-09 Lead by example; be the example (My Wood Badge course number and motto)
3 C all-purpose flour  
2 C sugar
1 t salt                          
2 t baking soda           
½ C cocoa                   
10 T melted butter
2 T vinegar (white or cider)
2 t vanilla
2 C cold water
2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Add butter, vinegar, vanilla, and pour water over all.  Mix thoroughly and pour in a lined Dutch oven.  Bake at 350° for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Evenly cover the cake with the chocolate chips, replace the lid, and let sit for a minute or two.  Spread melted chips over cake.  Serve!
11.01.10  It was a busy weekend.  I spent Saturday at Grey Wolf training as part of a Wood Badge ticket.  It was nice to see the boys and work with some of the adults.  I look forward to the Friday Feasts over the summer.  
The shop was very busy yesterday.  I have some new faces in my classes and that's always good.  Jim was at his spin class when I got home.  I made a pot of tea, built a fire and settled in to knit on the scarf.  I thought I'd get it finished last night, but I still have a few more motifs to go.  I had to dig through the stash for a bit of orange and had a bit of Lamb's Pride that's a close match.  
The blocked handspun is gorgeous.  What a difference blocking makes!  Now I can dig out the pattern Carol got along with the fiber and work on the little scarf.  I'll have quite a nice collection this year!
We're expecting some "warmer" temps this week, which will hopefully melt some of the ice.  It's tricky on the side streets.
I like this message from a Dove chocolate wrapper--Forget the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey instead!

1 comment:

Margie said...

Hi Deborah, great to visit your blog, I really missed it. Your photos and words always inspire me. The scarf is very special, so much fairisle work. Your energy is amazing. We too are in the grip of the ice, with gales blowing this morning. We do not have snow ploughs and the country ran out of salt and grit, as a result I went to work by train all last week and only ventured out driving today, the first time since Christmas. As I am still without a computer I will only get to browse and comment once each fortnight or so. That Chocolate cake sounds like the perfect treat for the winter blues. Hugs, Margie