About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

5.5.09

1927

I'm taking a short break from the socks to start my Bowknot Sweater. Elsa Schiaparelli designed the original in 1927. I've wanted to knit it for years and now seemed as good a time as any to start. The technique is similar to how I work Fair Isle (using continental style with my left hand and English with my right). It's called Armenian knitting and the contrasting color floats are caught every third stitch. It creates a tweedy appearance on the public side, which is perfect for this garment. I've seen it using the intarsia technique (separate bobbins for each color), but I don't think the effect is as attractive. I believe E.S. knew what she was doing! Instead of black I chose a very dark brown, which will match more of my wardrobe. I have to wear black when we play bells, so I don't wear it as much as I used to. The key to knitting this is the gauge. I did my gauge swatch and it was spot on...started the sweater...I thought the contrast color was too tight across the back. I began again, but cast on with a larger needle (which I knew I should have done in the first place!) and like the tension much better. I'm debating about the optional gussets--I'll have to see when the pieces are knitted and check the fit. I really needed to do something unusual and different--this is the perfect project!
photo credit: italophiles.com/images/elsa8.jpg

2 comments:

Joanne said...

What a pretty sweater! I will enjoy seeing your actual sweater, when you take photo's of it.

Kathy said...

I remember seeing this in some older knitting books and always thought that it was so clever. I'm anxious to see how it's going.

Don't forget, I'll be in your driveway at 8:00 Sat morning. I'll wait in the car, so I don't have to wake anyone up with the doorbell. Dress warmly. It sounds like it could be chilly!