About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

3.12.09

It's beginning to look...

A tour around the tree:
The artists have lots to see from their vantage point, the camping section has some bears in camp (Ben made the tipi for Jim, and the canoe is from a long-ago trip to Algonquin with my family), the dogs are near the bottom for Eevee to enjoy, the shepherd watches his sheep on the European side of the tree.
I finally got the tree decorated, Christmas Vacation was on last night. "Play ball!" There's a light dusting of snow on the ground, and it's cold. The tree is larger than usual...we had to snip off a bit at the top, but it's pretty and I hung the extra ornaments on it this year. The lights were a bit of a challenge, as we didn't use the little fairy lights last year. Jim is in charge of the lights and I don't know where he put all the new ones. I was checking the old ones and only had to replace a few bulbs. Because the tree is bigger, I place the ornaments in sections--the front is from our travels, I have the American side, etc.
Now that the cardigan is almost done, I've been searching for the perfect buttons. It's very frustrating to go to Joann's and Hancock because they sell buttons by the card--four here, six there...I need nine! Time to dig through the stash. I doubt I have nine of any. Checking online wasn't any better. I still have time because when I finish the sleeve today the sweater still has to be blocked.
Later that day...I did my errands today. It was one of those days where I accomplished a lot, but it didn't seem as though I got anything done! I did some online shopping, gift card buying, banking, grocery shopping, ordering necessaries for Mom, Dutch oven baking for Round Table tonight (monkey bread--the boys call it monkey brains), and the night is young! By the way, it was really good and it was almost gone!
I was taking photos the other day and thought I'd include some gems I have. The little teapot is from the same shop I found the church. When I sit by the fire and knit, I'll have to make some spinning wheel tea. In my office are some paintings I did some years ago. The teddy bear and Raggety Ann are from my childhood. Little Sister was a Christmas gift and my favorite bear. She's well-worn and very well-loved. Raggety Ann was the doll I chose when Mom took me downtown to the doll shop to pick out any doll for my success at ending thumb-sucking. I remember it very clearly. It was a wondrous place and I can remember the sales lady smiling down at me (I was not able to see over the counter) and she seemed so tall! I looked at all the dolls, but fell in love with Raggety Ann. Her hair has been re-attached, and like Little Sister she's been well-loved. Dicky bear modeled for me as part of a painting demonstration in Arizona. I chose items in primary and secondary colors, as it was for Art Night at Ben's school. Artists, sculptors, musicians, docents from the museum in Phoenix, vocalists, and performers took part and it was amazing! The halls and classrooms were filled with demos, hands-on projects, and performances. It was fun and the painting is a nice memory from the event.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Your tree looks gorgeous! I understand about the button search, is that why you used to make them? Your paintings are great too. I love the story about how you received your Raggedy Ann doll.

Margie said...

Hi Deborah, your tree looks so magical. We will not be putting our tree up until nearer Christmas. I love that all your decorations have a little history attached, that makes it so special. I love to have a day where I get everything finished, that bread sounds interesting. The teapot and raggedy ann are more gems. Hugs, Margie.