About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

10.4.13

Winter's icy grip

We are experiencing winter's last icy grip for the next couple of days.  Rain and sleet for today and possibly snow tomorrow.  The slop rugs and boots will be in the foyer a bit longer!  Maybe if I change the flag on the porch from the snowman to the butterfly I can think it is April when I am at the kitchen sink.

I have been busy with samples.  The Vertical Lace Scarf is finished and at the shop.  The Silken Straw top is progressing even though I must stop and check for wayward threads on the reverse side--very annoying and time-consuming.  The color is lovely and the yarn softens as I knit.  I hope that when I block the finished project the stitches will even out and the yarn will bloom a bit, which seems to be the consensus on Ravelry.
Mindful knitting.  The more I knit, the fewer the stray strands.  Whew!

The Upcycled Elegance scarf from http://www.pagewoodfarm.com/upcycled-elegance.htm is ready to be needle-felted.  I cut the sweater pieces smaller and left the woven silk pieces as I first cut them.  The silk scarf is delicate and I do not want to weigh down the fabric.
First layer--silk scarf
Second layer--wool sweater fabric
Third layer--woven silk fabric
Final layers--silk ribbons, yarn, and sparkle
Planning stage
My poor UFOs are beginning to whine about being neglected, but Louie is quite happy.  He has been given my full attention lately.  I spun up the two packages of Three Feet of Sheep and plied them together.  That is one big honkin' hank of yarn.  I was winding it onto the swift and had just a few inches to go when the swift collapsed and the yarn went into a tangled heap.  It took me a couple of evenings to clean up the yarn barf and I hand wound the yarn again using the backs of three dining room chairs.  To keep the behemoth from tangling again, I tied it off in five places.  The colors are gorgeous and now I need a neutral background color for what I have in mind...humm...what to do...what to do.

Big honkin' hank of handspun!


The Groupon/Deal Chicken classes are going well.  I had a student come back to the second session with a scarf!  I really enjoy teaching other how to knit.  Some will stick to it, some will not but everyone has been great and I enjoy teaching the classes and the students.

Jim is excited for cycling season.  Ben and Jim went on their first ride of the season on Sunday to prepare for the Ironman ride later this month.  With the weather the way it has been they are not going to register early!  I was the sag driver the first year Jim rode and it was freezing cold and raining.  No fun for the riders!

Jim finished up as Round Table Commissioner.  I will continue to make goodies and have ideas on how to change things up for next season.  Jamboree is less than 100 days away.  Jim is busy as Scoutmaster.  I have to mail my health form in and order my nameplate.  We had our first development weekend for the Fall Wood Badge Course.  The church kitchen was wonderful.  It will be a bit more of a challenge on course at Stearns.  My friend, Kristi, gave me a notebook with her notes from last year.  Kristi and I will be teaching Cooking With Cub Scouts at University of Scouting.  I have my fingers and toes crossed for good weather, as we will be outside.  Cold is tolerable--rain is a pain.

10.04.2013  I got my newsletter from Rowan and clicked on the link for Sarah Hatton.  She has photos of her US tour and Amazing Threads.  The first sample I knit for the shop is the checkered shrug on the Rowan wall.  I loved the Classic Cardigan she wore the day of class and it is available on the site.  Now on the quest to find the Liberty of London binding!

No comments: