About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

10.3.13

Alchemy


In the Merriam Webster Dictionary the second meaning for alchemy is, "...a power or process of transforming something common into something special."  How true the statement is when concerning yarn and a pattern.  The yarn is Alchemy's Silken Straw (in Blue Moon) and the pattern is Purl Bee's Silken Straw Summer Sweater.  When asked if I would like to make a shop sample I jumped at the chance to knit with silk.  At first glance the hank looks like beautifully dyed raffia, although once the stitches (228!) are cast on the needle and knitting begins, the stiffness begins to soften and I think ahead to blocking the sweater.  The pattern is simple and the top is just a whisper of translucence, which is perfect for summer.  I chose the beautiful turquoise because it reminded me of the clear New Mexico sky over Philmont.  Silk takes dye beautifully and the colorways of Silken Straw are richly saturated hues--even the smoky gray is beautiful.  I hand-wound the first hank and popped it into a sandwich bag to keep it from unwinding.  So far, so good.  The yarn easily splits so I am taking extra care as I knit.

Alchemy Yarns Silken Straw

The beginning--228 stitches...

The second sample knit is a scarf (from a kit) by Trendsetter Yarns.  I chose the copper colorway for the vertical lace stitch project.  The kit contains two skeins of Kid Seta mohair and silk, one hank of Mimi, and one skein of Luna.  Three strands held together will be a lovely mix of shine, color, and halo.
Yarn from Trendsetter (kit)

Vertical lace pattern

The Tayberry Hat is finished and Bobbi and I agreed the points needed to be tacked together.  I will have to get a photo when I go back to work.

Speaking of which...today is a snow day for the schools!  With Ben gone that falls under our radar.  We had some snow yesterday as I was driving to work.  I was very careful not to spin out twice this trip.  After the last snowfall I drove Ben's Jeep with four-wheel drive and spun out once on a ramp and then again on the highway.  The black ice was treacherous and fortunately I was able to get back on the road and make it to work on time.
The second spin out was in traffic and it was a miracle I did not hit another car and another car or truck did not hit me.  A kind officer blocked traffic in one lane so I could get back on the road.  The snow is still coming down and will taper off this afternoon--so the weatherman says.

Progress on the room is coming along.  The fiber/tubs are stacked in the corner and most of my art supplies are in the closet.  Naturally, by moving everything before painting Ben's room is probably a mistake, but one needs to get one's space organized and the cosmetic changes can happen at any time.  The recycle bin is getting full, bags of yarn are separated, and books and clothing are bagged and ready to go away!  Yea!

On the Scouting scene...the District Dinner was on Friday evening.  Since Jim was on the Winter Wood Badge course I was there alone.  The theme was "A Funny Thing...," and the speaker was very good as well as funny (a comedian/Eagle Scout).  In a nutshell, we are here because we said, "yes" to being Scouters and volunteering.  I am glad I said yes!  Before supper started, I got a surprise with Jim showing up.  I had his mug and something for another person on course (so proud I did not forget!).  It was good to see him.  The evening progressed through the awards and the last one given out is for the District Award of Merit.  Now I have to buy extra knots for my uniforms!  An interesting thought about awards in Scouting--an award is not just for what you have done, it is for what you are going to give back in the future.   
  

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on a well-deserved award! Woohoo.

Deborah said...

Thank you, Jennifer!

Joanne said...

Such beautiful projects! CONGRATULATIONS for your award!! So glad that Jim was able to get there to be with you on that evening.