|There be sheep in the woods!|
Cutting into the fabric was not easy. Handweaving gives one a particular appreciation for fabric and because the twill has a diagonal design, I took my time placing lining up the second piece after cutting the first piece since I cut them out one at a time. Speaking of cutting out the first piece...after pinning the pattern to the fabric I took a deep breath and made the first cut on the side, put down the scissors, took a deep breath, snapped a photo, and then proceeded to finish cutting. Before sewing, the machine needed a new needle and threading was a bit of a challenge with dark thread and a bit more farsightedness. Stay-stitching around the handwoven pieces with straight stitches stabilizes the fabric. Dampening and ironing the prewashed linen smooths out any large wrinkles.
|Cut, breathe, cut, breathe...|
The construction of the vest is quite simple--sew shoulder seams on right side pieces and lining, sew lining to the outside pieces leaving the side seams open, clip curves, turn inside out and press. (Between each step I steam press, keeping the seams tidy.) The reveal was exciting with only two more seams to sew. The right sides of the back and front pieces got machine-stitched and then the lining seam allowances are whip-stitched by hand after pressing. Whoa, I was so excited after giving the finished vest a good pressing and trying it on. Now I'm excited to plan my next yardage using Harrisville Shetland for the warp and weft in a broken twill for an allover surface design.
|I love the curve detail at the center back.|
|It's worth mentioning that the vest fits better on me than on the dress form. I am so happy and cannot wait to weave more yardage for sewing projects!|