About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

28.3.16

Sockinasock, weaving for a hat, and the Art Crawl

Sock knitting, something I do not typically knit, although I love handknit socks.  Jim even likes his handknit socks (which reminds me...he needs a new pair).  As a one-at-a-time sock knitter with double point needles it is easy to fall into second sock syndrome.  Knitting two socks at a time is the logical thing to do, but I am not a fan of the magic loop  method.  Over the years I have run across the technique of knitting two socks at the same time (double knitting) and the time has come to give it a go.
28.03.16 I used some sock yarn I dyed last year in the sock blank dye class and cast on 64 stitches for my usual plain vanilla socks.  At this time I decided to err on the side of caution and work the ribbing and join the socks for the stockinette stitching.  It took three tries, but I managed to join them and then commence to double knit.  My right hand is throwing English style for purling the outside sock and my left hand is picking continental style for knitting the inside sock.  It is easier to see the stitches and I check now and then to make sure the socks are separate.  So far, so good.
The outside sock cuff is flipped up to reveal the inside sock.  Right now it is fun, but we shall see how I feel when I come to the heel...

The next weaving project is on the loom for Weaving Wednesday at Anoka Fiber Works.  Last week I warped the loom with a variegated Trekking sock yarn and some pale gray Regia with flecks of color.  Weaving the weft with both yarns is coming out a nice windowpane check.

Pretty colors for spring.

The North Artists Studio Crawl is this weekend.  The note cards are printed and I had a limited run of another design in the process of printing.  I am happy Kathryn asked me to be one of her guests.  Robert (Rob) and I are new to the Art Crawl and it should be a fun time.  We will be at Anoka Fiber Works. Some of the vendors will also be there doing demos.  
This little fellow visited AFW one Saturday and was happily sitting on a pillow being admired by all.  He was the perfect subject for a very small painting.
Oil on canvas board, 4" x 2.75"

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love your tour around the different media that are in your life right now. That bunny is adorable!

Joanne said...

Love your socks, I wondered if you were using one of your sock blanks. Glad you are trying the double knitting process. Will be interested to know if you like it. I took a class at Woolenworks on knitting one sock in the round on straight needles, not dp's. We used the double knitting process. Yes, I did goof up and have to rip. Hahaha! The bunny is beautiful! I hope you have a great show, too!

Joanne said...

Forgot to mention, that the weaving is beautiful! Will you be making another vest?

Deborah said...

I like double knitting and have had to rip a few times. It's fairly easy to get the stitches reset because I have multiple sets of DPNs.

I'm weaving fabric for a hat. I'm hooked on making garments with the fabric I weave.

Deborah said...

Thanks, Jennifer. It's so much fun to do the things we love isn't it?😊