About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

4.6.15

Spinning and the bubble

As of yesterday I can see above the jiggly nitrous oxide bubble in my eye.  because it moves a LOT.  The good thing is that I have vision for which I am grateful.  The bubble is disappearing and according to the opthamologist the bubble should be gone within a week.  With my head down I can see the whole bubble and a little bit around it.  It has a dark perimeter that fades to the magnified center, which is akin to looking through water.  Looking at my computer screen I can see what I am typing!  A small thing but it is really huge to me.

During the past week I have been walking a bit more each day and the one activity that keeps my hands busy is spinning and carding wool.  Between the spindle and the wheels there has quite a bit of progress made in the woolly stash-down.

Before I took the Jacob/silk noil  off Reginald's bobbin I checked to see if I wanted to ply the single or leave the yarn as a single.  I opted to leave the yarn as a single.  

Stella and some Romney wool I bought last year at Shepherd's Harvest.  I am hand carding the wool into rolags and pick out the VM (veggie matter) as I spin.

Left to right:  Jacob/silk noil continuous single, natural gray and natural light brown spindle spun Shetland, Stella with dark brown Romney, colorful Cormo/silk noil spindle spun 2-ply, Cormo/silk noil called Dark Side of the Moon from Riverwinds Farm.  I ended up not plying the latter with Reginald and used Louie (my Louet S10) instead with the jumbo bobbin and fl yer.  
 In addition to spinning, carding was less than pleasant endeavor, until I realized that I needed clamps and a nail to make the experience easier.  When I purchased my Wild Carder it did not come with instructions.  I had a general idea of how it worked because Joanne loaned me one of her carders when I lived in Texas.  I looked online when I brought the carder home and  did not find much information or videos on the subject.  I mentioned my experience to Joanne in a recent conversation and she helped me find the specification sheet and assembly instructions online.  I was having difficulty because the drums were too close together.  Joanne tried to talk me through the adjustments without much success.  She mentioned the clamps and a nail. To make a long story short, she contacted her supplier and I have clamps and a nail en route.  Now that I have the information about how to adjust the settings the carding experience will be better.  I sent each batt through the carder twice and picked out any loose or short bits.  I look forward to spinning this lovely wool!
Using the Wild Carder to make batts of Jacob wool.  Natural black, dark gray, and medium gray is finished.

Light gray and white yet to card.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Hope your carding has gotten easier for you now. :) Your batts are wonderful.