About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

23.5.14

Anoka Fiber Works and Amazing Threads

Throughout our marriage (38 years this year) Jim and I moved around the USA and in Germany.  Some places we liked better than others.  After Ben was born, where we lived became more important.  From 1996 to 1999 we lived in McKinney, Texas.  We lived in a nice neighborhood with lots of young families like ours and there was an amazing shop called Woolen Works.  It was a place to gather, to learn, and to experience all things fiber.  I sat in with a Wednesday group of spinners--I was the knitter.  They were so friendly and welcoming.  Fast forward to 1997 and the purchase of Louie, the Louet S10 spinning wheel...I learned how to spin and never looked back.  In 1999 Jim interviewed for a job in Minnesota, which meant another big move.  It was difficult to leave the friends we made and for Ben to change schools, but we were up for the adventure.  I continued to spin, although I missed the Texas Twisters.  When I began teaching knitting, I was able to add spindle spinning classes and later wheel spinning classes.  My attempts to start local spin ins was met with some success, but it was not until a group of women began a co-op in an Anoka yarn shop.  It was wonderful to see the wheels and the fiber for sale.  Wanting to expand, the group moved the co-op to another location and Anoka Fiber Works was born.  Talented fiber artists sell their wares (finished items, equipment, and fiber), there are classes, field trips, and most of all it is a gathering place to meet and share the love of all things fiber.

I have a couple of classes coming up at Anoka Fiber Works.  The Felted Amulet Bag is a wet-felted project.  To make the class sample I dug through my Lake Superior rocks and found a perfect size.  Last evening I worked up the sample and I am pleased with the outcome.  It's  a perfect size to wear around the neck and hold small tools or perhaps some emergency chocolate!  The class is June 12, from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm.

Wet felted Amulet Bag and the rock I used


The other project is a shawl pin with a polymer clay topper.  The samples I made are simple--a  figure (sheep), a bead covered with slices of canes, and then a wrapped bead.  Dawn gave me a couple of sticks to use and they worked well with a bit of sanding and finish.  The shiny finish on two beads is added on after baking and made for polymer clay.  It is supposed to be a satin finish...mmm...I don't think so...
The Poly Clay Shawl Pin class is on July 8, from 6 pm to 8 pm.
Clay bead covered with cane slices, wrapped bead, sculpted bead.

I am fortunate to be part of the teaching staff at Amazing Threads.  It is a great place to teach!  One of the upcoming classes at Amazing Threads is a skill-builder for illusion knitting.  Strategically placed knits and purls using contrasting yarns create a picture when viewed at an angle.  A circle is a simple shape and works up relatively quickly.  Once you learn how to read the chart it is easy.  There are some amazing examples and patterns on Ravelry of projects worked with the technique.  This class is June 14 from 10 am to 12 pm.    

Now you see it...
...now you don't.
Bobbi and Angel returned from Market recently.  It is always fun to see what is new in the fiber world.  I chose the Teggala Hat kit to make for a shop sample.  The yarn is a blend of cashmere and possum down (yes, possum down) from New Zealand.  Light and lofty, super soft, and a dream to knit with this little project has it all!  It comes beautifully boxed with the pattern and three 10-gram skeins of Zealana AIR yarn.  This will be the perfect finished project or just gift the kit.  It will be exciting over the next few weeks to see the new yarns arrive!

Luxury in a box.
I love the packaging and presentation of this kit.
Charcoal, red, and natural baby skeins.
I marked the spot for the centered double decreases and between the design repeats.
It is much easier to keep track of where I am in the design.

I am still on the circular needles and will switch to double points when the decreases get closer together.  It fits nicely and is so nice and light.  The fiber is so soft with a lovely halo.  Can you tell I really love this yarn and project?



1 comment:

Margie said...

Lucky those who love close by for your classes Deborah, I love the amulet holder and the fair isle hat on particular, belated happy birthday to Ben, so glad you enjoyed the day together. Big hugs, love Margie ❤️