About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

22.1.14

Brrr...sweater weather!

I am ready for the new year!  As with every day, the new year is a time to begin with a blank canvas, in which case can be daunting before one makes the first brushstroke.  I handle the blankness by toning the canvas with a thin wash of ochre.  Life can be daunting, so I keep things toned with a positive attitude and sense of humor through all the kerfuffle of life.  I like that word--it sounds better than drama!
We did the Commitment Day 5K in Minneapolis.  It was -6 and once we got going it was not bad at all.  Eva, Jim, and I ran together--Ben and Laurie were ahead of us.  The three of us held hands as we approached and ran across the finish line.  It was fun, a little challenging in the cold, but rewarding to finish.  I shaved off seven minutes from the Thanksgiving Day 5K, which was very exciting.
17.01.14  This is one of the never-ending posts...
It is sunny today and right now the temperature is 1 degree F, the wind is 12 MPH, which means that it feels below zero.  No problem!  I have plenty of sweaters, warm hats, mittens, and scarves!
Yesterday I hunkered down and knitted on Formica (strange name for a hat).  The knitting was going gangbusters until my needle snapped--something that never happened until now.  Drat!  I found another circular in a US 4 and got back to work.  Naturally, the momentary setback caused me to lose focus and the bug legs were messed up in spots.  Double-drat!  I frogged a few rows and got back on track.  Sadly, I did not finish the hat, but took it to work to show Angel and she liked it.  The class (Double Knit Headband) went well last night.  We have one more session and I will have some patterns for the students to try out with their leftover yarns.
The latest finished hat was a joy to knit!  Snow Ghost, from Polka Dot Sheep is a lovely stranded knit hat.  I did not choose the typical white with neutral, but chose two colors close in tone--a brownish purple and a teal blue. The pattern is very well-written and I particularly like the inclusion of two sets of charts, dark on light and light on dark.  I used the dark on light charts.  Bobbi suggested the Malabrigo Finito (Pearl 10 and Aguas).  It was the perfect choice with the combination of tone-on-tone colors and unbelievable softness.
The decreases emphasize the star on top of Snow Ghost.  
The Malabrigo Finito is so soft.


The next big project coming up is Dacite by Carol Feller.  The sample was at the shop for a trunk show and the Soft Donegal Tweed was gorgeous yarn!  I will be doing the shop sample in HiKoo Kenzie (Pavlova).  I have had the pleasure of making a hat and cowl with this yarn and it is the perfect choice for a sweater.  The natural color will make this garment a perfect wardrobe staple.
Formica is finished!  I lightly fulled the hat by hand and cinched the ribbing  basting with a needle and thread.  I left it to air dry and the ribbing now fits nicely.  I added a pompom and now I really like the hat.  If I make it again for myself, I will do the size 20" circumference.
Formica



Skiing at Bunker

It was a gorgeous day!

Getting fit for Philmont!

Heading out on the trail.

This was the sunshine just a day or so later when we plunged back into the frigid temperatures.  


No comments: