About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

8.10.12

Happy camper!

I must say I have been a happy camper over the last month!  A couple of weeks ago I was a participant in the Philmont Leadership Challenge in New Mexico.  It was an amazing course not to mention being held at Philmont Scout Ranch!
Pack line ready to go.  My pack is in the middle.
Big Agnes (my tent) is on the bottom, sleeping mat,
fleece jacket, camp shoes, and camp chair are on the
outside.  The pack weighed in at 28.5 pounds fully loaded.

Morning tour of Villa Philmonte

Deer on the lawn

Rocky Mountain Scout Camp in the area of that...

Igneous intrusion of dacite porphyry--the Tooth of Time!

Trail meals!

Entrance to camp--the parade field
where we met each morning.

Note two of the twelve points of the Scout Law.

Crew lead for my midweek birthday!

Hike on!

Lover's Leap

Morning "stampede"--it was more like a stroll.

Leaves changing

Urraca Crew in front of Urraca Mesa after our conservation project.

Our campsite at Lover's Leap Camp.

View from the Red Roof Inn.

Hike on!

Return hike to RMSC

Our last full day we went into Cimarron
and had lunch at the St. James Hotel.
There are bullet holes in the tin ceiling from the old days!

A trip to Cimarron is not complete without a
visit to the Art Gallery and some ice cream.

Leaving Philmont we stopped to take photos of the buffalo herd.

Last weekend, after being home a few days, I went through the Order of the Arrow Ordeal.  It is the BSA's honor society with a focus on brotherhood of cheerful service.  Camp Ajawah was glorious, as the trees were at peak color.  Our overnight under the stars did not disappoint--a full moon and clear skies.
Ben set up his old Voyageur tent at Conclave.

A splash of color on the maple leaves.

Mary and I take a break from cleaning
the basement of the mess hall.

We (Ordeal candidates) were in the no talking mode for a full day.

Since I am still on "Philmont time," it feels as though I am running a bit behind on some projects.  Coming up this week is my advanced technique class at The Shepherdess.  I came up with a quick to knit project that is easily adjusted to the student's preferred size for a cup cozy using advanced knitting techniques.  It can be knitted with multiple colors or in a solid color.  The checkerboard pattern can be done with knits and purls instead of stranding the color.  The second project has a steek and will be partially finished in time for class.  I am tweaking the pattern to make sure it is correct.
09.10.12  I finished the pattern for the other advanced technique project.
Cutting the steek

Camp Mug Sweater with buttons.

Make it Monkey hat.  This one is ready for winter!

Class Name: ADVANCED KNITTING

Class Dates: Thursdays, October 11, 18, and 25

Class Times: 6 pm to 8 pm

Instructor: Deborah Coder

Difficulty: Advanced

Pattern Name or Location: Pattern provided

Class Price: $36.00 Class Location: Red Table

Class Size: 6

Other Information: This is a series of classes (3, 2-hour sessions) for advanced knitting techniques. The first session includes Project Planning and the last session includes Finishing Touches. In between planning and finishing, students will work on small projects that can be completed in a relatively short time period.  

The sample fits my Eagle camping mug perfectly!




3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Looks like a fabulous time. 28.5 lbs? Please tell me your secrets!!!!

Deborah said...

It was a fabulous time. I would love to be on staff someday.

I packed what I needed and nothing more. DS (a Ranger) was a big help. My pack is not as big as DH's and DS's so I did not have much of a choice. One set of camp clothes, one set of sleep clothes, hiking boots, camp shoes (keens), fleece jacket, rain gear, spork, Sierra cup, Eagle mug, two large Nalgene bottles, two pairs of Scout pants, two uniform shirts (only needed one), sun hat, two Under Armor shirts for layering (these were good at night and early in the morning), two pair of wool socks for hiking, scout socks for uniform wear, microfiber washcloth and sham-wow for towel, camp suds, toothbrush and toothpaste, meds, tent, sleeping bag, sleep mat, Crazy Creek style chair, work gloves, warm gloves, beanie, camera, head lamp, pack cover, day pack for carry-on and purse. That's the bulk of what I took. I left my travel clothes, make up (and such), phone, and knitting in the rental car. The guidebook had a packing list, which was a good guideline. I could have squeaked by with just one uniform (pants and shirt). We wore the participant t-shirts and hats just about the whole time.

Joanne said...

It does look like you had a great time! AND your knitting projects look like they will be a lot of fun. If I was there, I would take your class. :)