About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

23.7.12

Back from Gilwell

30 July 2012  I had an amazing experience the past nine days as a staffer on Wood Badge course C1-250-12-2, aka Summer 2012.  As with Grey Wolf NYLT (National Youth Leadership Training), the Course Director (Scoutmaster) and staff are called to be servant leaders for the participants.  The preparation process begins two years before course with the  Scoutmaster and SPL (Senior Patrol Leader).  The course models a month in the life of a troop.  My role was as a Troop Guide.  I heard it was the best job and is usually chosen for first-time staffers.  It was hard work, but so much fun to see the participants learn and grow.  Their experience (and tickets) will make an impact on the Scouting movement.  I did not take any photos during the week, as that was not my job.  However, Marie and Tim (the Scribes) took lots of photos and it will be fun to see them (I think...).
During the nine days I did not pick up my knitting even though I brought along a small project.  Instead, Joe (and his magical Mary Poppins backpack) had lots of decorative knots to show us during the rare down time.  It is a good way to keep fidgety fingers busy and now I have another skill to improve.

It is always fun to share Wood Badge bling.
The red knot is one I made with Joe.

My third bead is special, as during the beading ceremony,
I traded with Marie.  We are now bead buddies.  The
Eagle patrol presented me with two bear beads,
which I promptly and proudly added to my bear necklace!

The Eagle Patrol also presented me with
their totem ad a patch.  I am now a
BEagle (Bear + Eagle).  Great patrol, wonderful
course, participants, and staff!

1 comment:

Angela said...

So, funny thing. I was on-line searching under Wood Badge bling as I am going to be a TG this winter. My course number" C1-250-15-1....when I saw YOUR TG course number I just had to laugh! You are in Northern Star Council!! I know the 'Joe' you are speaking of! Joe Polta, one of the best guys ever, he was SPL for my course when I was a participant in C1-250-13-1. How awesome is that for a small world!!