About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

29.4.16

Weaving a top

Last week on Weaving Wednesday I warped my loom for the first half of the top.  Using the shape of a top from the book I got last month, I worked out the calculations and Mary helped me with the warp.  Kathryn was out of town, so we just plowed through and with lots of laughing Mary and I managed just fine.  I believe Kathryn would be proud.  I went through the stash at home and found some fluffy wool that looked wonderful in the small section I sampled along with a second sample of using the warp yarn for the weft.  I liked the white until I began to weave with it...too fluffy, too sticky, and removed after a few passes of the shuttle.  The warp yarn was not what I wanted either because it looked boring.  This morning I dug through my handspun stash and found a lovely tweed in what I think will be enough for the top.  Now I am ready for Weaving Wednesday!
 
I liked the texture of the white wool but the warp as weft was less than inspiring
for a large project.  
29.04.16 Weaving along!  Kathryn's husband, Steven, came to take our photo on Wednesday for the magazine.  One side of my top is almost complete.  Fortunately I took the time to remeasure the length and was just shy in a couple of spots.  On Wednesday I unwove the sleeve so I could add a bit more to the body to make the full 12-inches under the arm.  Time goes quickly when you work as a group because of all the chatting and support.  Now to gather the yarn snippets and put my thoughts into 800 words.

The body of the weaving is on the left and the waste yarn filling in the side before the sleeve is on the right.

The sleeve is finished and the other side of the body is in progress.  Small safety pins mark the measurements:  12-inches below the sleeve, 20-inches for the sleeve (to be folded), and 12-inches below the other side of the sleeve.
Disengaging the forward pawl relaxes the tension and I can get an accurate measurement.

It is almost Shepherd's Harvest Festival time!  I am taking the felted sheep rug class taught by Linda Johnson-Morke  and then doing a demo on top-whorl spindle spinning, although not on the same day.  I will be curious to see how many steps I chalk up in the foot stomping part of the felting process.  This week an email came from  Marcia of Joxer's Jacobs. ChiChi's fleece is available, which is hard to resist.  I'm waiting to hear the weight and price.  Last year's was a perfect 3.3 pounds, beautifully skirted.

On the needles is the ribbing for the second woven hat.  As of today the temperature is more spring-like and this will be the perfect weight for cool mornings and evenings.  What a difference a day makes; yesterday was cold with rain showers and today is sunny and warmer.
Working the ribbing on the beanie hat.
 Last weekend five of us from the Crew took the Wilderness First Aid class.  The CPR portion was on Friday evening and the first aid on Saturday and Sunday.  The scenarios were helpful and we had to MacGyver the materials on hand to create splints, stretchers, and such to help the victims.
A screen with gauges at the waist of Ambu Man pops up for the responders to see if the compressions and breaths are correctly administered.  If the compressions are off the proper spot on the chest, it makes a clicking sound.
Jim was a victim with hypothermia and became a human burrito.

 Jim's birthday was this week and I made his favorite cake for the occasion. There were only two candles, but the rest were implied.  It would have been a mess to light more ;^).
Happy birthday, Jim!
Ben made reservations at Pittsburgh Blue for a family celebration.

Getting in the 10,000 steps daily is not difficult and helps to keep in shape for the upcoming backpacking trip.  Geese, ducks, and birds have returned as well as the green grass and leaves on the trees.  
On the walk...the geese were sounding the alarm while protecting a nest.

I love the way the morning light highlighted the birch tree.
Ever watchful white birch trees are so pretty.  


No comments: