About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

31.7.13

Jamboree 2013

On July 9, a group of four from our council took off for the 2013 Jamboree in beautiful West Virginia.  We drove all night and arrived on the 10th, which was a year to the day that my mother died.  I felt her with me driving through the heavily-forested Appalachian Mountains.  I felt at home in the woods and hiking the steep hills, having grown up in south central Ohio.

It was nice to check in a day early and get settled before the first two of many rainstorms over the next two weeks.  Construction was everywhere and we had our doubts that everything would be ready for the participants, but all that ended at noon the day before the participants arrived.  Kim and I were part of the Greeter Team (a new position at the Jamboree), so our whole team learned a LOT over the next couple of weeks.  Our main function was to greet visitors, ride up to the Summit Center with them on the large buses, and be mobile information for the participants and visitors.  In the mile and a half area that made up the Summit Center were all the activities (on a smaller scale) of what the youth were doing in the back country.  I managed to do the Dragon Boats, which were so much fun.  Being a Minnesotan paddling comes naturally and the kids were great--the two boats I rode in won!  It was good to be near the water because it was brutally hot and humid over the duration of the Jamboree.

The team took two half days to tour the activities at the Summit Center and learn about the display booths.  We received lots of bling (patches, pins, etc)--a Scout favorite.  Wearing the pins on our lanyards is a good conversation-starter and reminder of what to tell the visitors to check out.
I got back from the SBR (Summit Bechtel Reserve) after our group drove through the night.  It was good to see Ben and we spent some time together before he went back to work.  Later that day I picked up Jim when the buses rolled in at the fairgrounds.  It was quite the celebration.  Since I got home early my laundry was finished and folded before I drove to the fairgrounds to meet the buses bringing home the Jamboree Troops.

Always a bit of knitting along...

Driving into the Appalachian Mountains

The gateway to the big adventure.

The van was parked in dead storage and Brad, Kim,
me, and Randy were ready to rock and roll!

From inside the tent during one of the many storms!

I have known Scott since our time in Germany and it was so good
to see him at Echo (staff) Camp often at the end of the day!

Echo Camp from the hill we hoofed almost every day.

Construction at the Summit Center Gate area.  

Charlie Camp before the Scouts arrived.  


Travis, a member of the Urraca Patrol at PLC last year was working
at Brownsea Isalnd.  

Imagine my surprise when Majorknitter (on Ravelry) was in line!  

One of my favorite trees--tulip poplar.

At the large staff meeting with John P.

Wildflowers at Charlie Camp.

Striking a pose by Brownsea Island.

Along the boardwalk past Brownsea...

Kathy, Anna, and Kim walk the boardwalk.  Notice the low rail on the sides.  Things changed
quickly from day to day.

The Aquatics staff was training in the Dragon Boats.  


Lovely sunset in Echo Camp.

Sunrise from the land bridge in Echo Camp looking toward the Fishing and Dutch Oven (cooking) Merit Badge area.

More friends from PLC--Donna, Karen, and Mark (Urraca Patrol).

Anna, a friend of Jim's.  It was so fun to see familiar faces among the thousands
of staffers at Echo Camp.
Echo Lake at sunset.

Red sky at night might be a sailor's delight, but it did not always mean fair
weather for the next day.

The Woodcarving Merit Badge booth near Bouldering Cove was a
favorite stop.  I love the bear section for a totem pole.

The Brownsea Island staff looked dapper in their  period
clothing.  Travis (Urraca Patrol) is fourth from the right.
Kim and I were there for the dedication ceremony.


This fellow was very interesting.  He had a question for us to answer, *"who was the first US president?"  Of course we said George Washington, but I sent a text to Ben
and he got the answer correct--that's my boy!

I'm a Scout!

Antique uniform at the museum with an early Eagle badge on the pocket.

Official ASM document signed by Theodore Roosevelt.

The Dragon boats were not only cool looking, but fun to race!
The drummer sets the beat and the staffer calls the commands from the back.
We paddle!

Two young scouts take advantage of the sun to charge their
electronic devices with solar chargers.

Paula (PLC) was helping get the large participants buses in line for check-in
as I was on my way back to Echo from the Summit.
There was lots of excitement when the youth arrived!
...needless to say I did not see Jim, but he let me know he was wearing red.

Smokey Bear was at Echo Camp by the Fishing and Cooking Merit Badge tents.
I have a traveling buddy.

Russian Scouts greeted diners at supper.



Blue tents on the left are in Charlie Camp, Brownsea Island is in the center and the boardwalk
is on the right.
Early morning at Bradley's Crossing before the visitors arrive.
Patrol 2 Greeter Team.  Katherine was our patrol leader and one of my tent mates.

Team Leads for the Visitor Experience/VIP/Greeter Team:  Kevin, Ellie, and John.

I noticed a problem with my hiking boot when I was ready to leave
the Summit Center for the day...

Looking around, some foreign Scouts from Foxtrot take a catnap nearby.  We were able to
charge our phones in this tent, so it was a popular spot!
...and by the time I returned to my tent, it was worse. 

We saw this as much as we saw the sunshine with thunder and lightning.


This young fellow was at Buckskin games.  It was cool to see the various
staffers from the activities in their costumes at breakfast and supper.  He
got the WWII uniform off the Internet and I liked the look--he reminds me
of my Ben and let me take his photo after the downpour.

One of the many highlights of the two weeks--meeting Lord Baden-Powell's
granddaughter, Gill!  she looks so much like my Mom.
This was a nice surprise mid-second-week instead of a meeting, we
got staff patches and ice cream sundaes!

The Buckskin Boys found a shady spot for the show.
I sat with Kathy N's husband, Lucas, until she arrived.

There was some grumbling about the show being moved up two hours , but the
powers that be called it correctly--we had a gully-washer and I stuck my camera out
of the tent to snap this photo.  It was still raining.

Aaron (Urraca Patrol) had been with the dining staff and it took some time for us to
finally meet up.  It was good to see him!

I like that big backpack, but would surely "turtle"
if I tried it on!  Note I have on my light hiking shoes
and an umbrella in hand...

Rain or shine, the Scout Band always performed and lifted our spirits with music.

Patch trading was an interesting sight all over the place.  This was at the
Summit Center.  The boys would also set up along the trails and in the camps.
It looked like a Turkish market.  

The day after the huge rain someone appropriately smeared
mud on the statue's boots.

Because of the frequent rain, we kept the tent closed.  To see the full moon
was a nice treat.

...back to my boots...the light hiking shoes got soaked when Kathy N and I got
caught in a downpour.  I wasn't going to hike in my Keen sandals, so Kim let me
use some duct tape to fix the toe of my boot.  Looked good and lasted...

...until I made my way to the Conservation Trail on the far end of the Summit
Center.  The Forestry guys gave me a roll of duct tape to redo my boot.  I
had fun finishing up the trail before the rain the day before we only had
two more questions to answer!  

I made it back to the other side of the Summit Center and our favorite tent when I caught
sight of two familiar faces I so wanted to see--Linda, my tent mate at PLC and Urraca Patrol member, and Karen!  They are from Florida and when we arrived in Colorado last year for
PLC, we had a van with six women and one man, Travis, drive to Philmont.  It was fun to get
to know them and since I wasn't able to attend the PLC reunion, I was especially happy to see
them on the last official day of the Jamboree!

Speaking of the last day, my favorite stop on the hike to Echo Camp was Delta Camp
near the top of the hill.  They had free apples and oranges for weary hikers along with
funny signs and a cheery pinwheel.

...and now the rest of the story.  I left my favorite water bottle at Delta HQ.  Because
we had buses shuttling us back to the top of Delta, I couldn't get to the lost and found for
a few days.  On the last day Kathy N and I were hiking back to Echo and stopped for a
rest at Delta HQ.  The lost and found was moved within sight, but long enough away to
not make it worthwhile to hoof it over to check.  The tape on my boot by then was barely
holding the toe together, so one of the medical staff in Delta patched it up with Batman
duct tape to last long enough to hike to Echo Camp.  I have now officially retired my boots.
...sigh...

A nice surprise after supper was a visit from the Chief Scout of the
United States, Wayne Brock.  He took time to talk to each person in line
and gave out signed patches.  

Lined up to check out, I saw another familiar face--Bruce was on staff when
I went through Wood Badge as a participant.  He is a talented musician
and photographer (I served on the photography team for Star Camp some
years ago).  That is part of what makes Scouting fun is the people you
meet.  In a sea of thousands there is always someone you know.  

Smokey enjoyed the air-conditioned comfort of the drive back to Minnesota.

We got to Cincinnati, the Queen City,  just in time...

...for Skyline Chili!  Brad and Kim were first-timers.

Kim and I were tent mates and it was a pleasure to get to know her.  Ben is
the District Executive for her Scouting district.
Randy, a fellow Ohioan, treated us to supper at Skyline!

We drove through Chicago in the  wee hours of the morning when there was no traffic.

The Wisconsin border at sunrise.

Ben picked me up at the West Office and I had the day to do laundry and rest before
meeting the Troop buses.

Jim and the leaders say goodbye to the boys.

Everyone is home safe and sound.  Lots of hugs and photos!
 Sean, on the left adjusting his cap, was the Senior Patrol Leader for  Troop C106.  

No comments: