About Me

My photo
Minnesota, United States

11.5.15

Spinning yarns to make a hat


It is a damp day and perfect for sitting by the window, carding and spindling.  Now, as much as I would LOVE to be back in Shetland this year for Wool Week, it just is not possible.  The next best thing is making this year's Wool Week hat out of my handspun.  Donna Smith's design is so cute, and is the perfect wearable for those of us that love sheep.  I loved knitting the shop sample out of Rowan Pure Wool Worsted, and the minute I finished it seemed appropriate that the next version be made out of handspun yarn.  This morning I dug through the stash and spinning fiber to find the colors.  There was some lovely spindle spun yarn in pale blue from Anoka Fiber Works.  The color is from the remains of an indigo dyeing session.  Sky--check.  The jury is still out on the color of the sheep.  They will be brown or white depending upon how much of each color is on hand and if the thickness is compatible with the other yarns.  Sheep--check.  The grass color must be green and it just so happens that there was some beautiful spring green wool in a small bag from our field trip to Sue Ross' farm a couple of years ago.  The yellow green is going well, but I went back to the wool stash and found the bag of dyed blue-green Finnsheep wool I received as part of a prize package from Interweave Press in 1999.  I re-carded the yellow-green and added the blue-green together and I like the color much better.  The grass will look much better with the sky color, a bit more washed out.  Grass--check.
The yellow-green wool has nice crimp and color.


The blue-green Finnsheep wool blends beautifully to tone down the yellow of the other wool.  

 This coming weekend is Shepherd's Harvest Festival at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Lake Elmo.  It has grown since I first visited with Kathy some years ago.  This year I volunteered to demonstrate top whorl spindle spinning.  This seemed like a good choice, as the materials are very portable!  I have plenty of fiber to spin and may card together an art batt or two to take along.  It would be particularly nice to finish the handspun Baa-ble Hat in time for the festival.

The project on my needles at the moment is Uluru, a little capelet to wear over something sleeveless.  I was using the Juniper Moon Sophie for another project and was not feeling the love of lace knitting, so I promptly looked for another project.  This fit the bill perfectly for the linen and cotton blend yarn.  If I need some extra to fill in, there are a couple of skeins of Ito cotton.  The stitching is simple stockinette with a row of wrapped stitches in which one wrap is dropped when purled.  The loose row of stitches adds interest with a change in texture.  To work a wrapped stitch:  On a knit row, wrap the yarn twice around the needle when knitting each stitch.  On the purl row, purl the stitch as usual while allowing one of the two wraps to drop, which results in an elongated stitch.
The wrapped stitches on the left needle become elongated when one of the two wrapped stitches is dropped on the purl row.

The elongated row of stitches adds interest and a change of texture to the knitted fabric.  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Note: https://knittingfever.com/io/view/design-pdf/8324